Monday, April 19, 2010

A reprieve....call it a midnight call from the divine.



(this is my little baby, Monte, who has been ill...this photo was taken this afternoon)

I recently wrote about the grieving process, and working it all through. Part of the reason for that post was the illness of our poodle, Monte, pictured above.

I spent 48 hours, at least, sobbing, grieving, and trying to come to grips with the news that my baby (well, he's 10.5) had congestive heart failure and that I was probably going to lose him.

As I wrote, here, it was a difficult and introspective process, but at the end of it, I was resolved to let him go when the time was right. After all, Monte has graced us with his presence in so many ways, on a daily basis, that I feel greedy asking for more.

I am happy to report, however, that we have been granted a reprieve. Somewhere, up there, those divine forces at work in the world have decided that Monte isn't done yet. He still has more to do here in his earthly suit.

The change in him is remarkable. By Friday night, I saw my puppy in his eyes once more. Monte stole a sock. That is his favorite game in the world - he steals something and waits, patiently, for me to notice that he has it in his mouth, so I will chase him.

That puppy was absent for a while. I was so thrilled to see him return, not just for my own selfish reasons, but also because I think he has much to do here on earth yet.

I watch him interact with our other animals, and with the humans in his life, and I realize that Monte is an empath and a healer, too. When my mother had her surgery to remove the cancer from her lung, Monte stayed at her feet for a week, watching over her, and giving her healing energy.

Monte also can predict my migraines, which I have always found to be an amazing thing. Before a migraine strikes, he will glue himself to my side (which can be annoying if I'm not paying attention to my migraine warning signs), and he stays there until the headache has passed.

SO, this remarkable, healing pup somehow found a way to heal himself, (ok, I guess modern medicine helped some, too), and he will be with us for a while longer.

And I am immensely grateful.

Monte is a blessing. I hope everyone has the chance to feel a blessing like Monte in their lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Monte, and Yay! for good medicine! :)