Monday, February 22, 2010

Why the Tarot?




First of all, I want to say thank you for all of the responses and support for my last blog post about my epiphany. It has been amazing to see how many people believe in me. It means the world to me.

One of the comments on the last post, though, raised an issue that I thought I should address, early on in my blogging days here. Amy, a fellow blogger, commented: "How cool for you! I used to be interested in Tarot, way back in high school. I no longer have my deck, and personally, even though I no longer believe in the supernatural (of course I admit I could be wrong ;-) ), I think the cards themselves are lovely and interesting, and I certainly think they can be a tool for insight. I think it's great that you have a gift for helping others gain insight into their lives, and great that you are pursuing it! Best wishes to you in your new endeavour!"

Her comment made me stop and think about how people perceive the tarot, and how I use it in my own processes. I thought that some clarification might be in order.

I am not a fortune teller.

The cards do not predict the future.

The cards are not a supernatural gateway to another dimension.

However, that also depends on how one defines "supernatural." I suppose there are those that might label God as a "supernatural being," since he is above the natural forces at work in the world.

Personally, I see the tarot as a means of examination, insight, and self-discovery that can help us better focus our energies and discover the path or paths that lie before us. They can aid us in divining our true selves, based upon the energies that lie within us.

That's why each querent should touch the cards personally.

They thus infuse the cards with his or her own energies, the ones that will reveal themselves in the spread of the deck. This infused energy helps as, together, we interpret the cards that appear. They serve as a guide, not as a predetermined course of events.

As with any form of meditation, there are no easy answers, just waiting to be discovered. Any path takes time, energy, and devotion to find and to follow. I simply hope to play a role in that discovery process. And as I told one of my clients the other night, we do know the answers - they lie within us - we just don't always know what questions we should be asking.

My goal, then, is to serve as the mediator, helping the individual ask the appropriate questions, and understand the possible paths.

Each of us has particular skills that we may share with the world. Some can produce glorious works of art. Others have the ability to compose breathtaking music, or to distill mathematical equations to their purest forms. Still others have mechanical abilities and can create or repair things.

My skill is the ability to see into individuals, by reading their energies. To divine their true nature. To see what lurks beneath the surface.

It is this skill that I employ when I read the tarot. In essence, I am reading the individual, using the cards as a guide. Together, they show me the appropriate questions to ask, so that we may reveal the answers that already lie within.

I hope that you will join me in this meditative process, and that I may have the pleasure of helping each of you find your own questions.

1 comment:

Lisa (Mommy Mystic) said...

Interesting, the way you described it here sounded almost more Jungian to me than 'supernatural'. But I also am not that interested in distinguishing these things. Who know why it works, whether it's our subsconsious speaking to us or 'the gods' - the proof is in the pudding for me. I look forward to your new blog! And good luck...